On January 24, 2020, the The Center for the Ecology of Infectious Diseases at the University of Georgia formed the Coronavirus Working Group, a group of about 20 scientists with data science expertise in data manipulation and interpretation, visualization, GIS, machine learning, computational statistics, and dynamical modeling.
The Working Group’s COVID-19 Portal provides data-driven, information rich situation awareness about the rapidly changing conditions of the current outbreak of COVID-19. Activities include:
- Mapping the spatial spread of COVID-19 within China and abroad
- Developing models for understanding the early stages of transmission and extrapolation to future events
- Estimating key parameters related to transmission
- Compiling clinical and epidemiological information to aid in the development and interpretation of model outputs as well as understanding of events as they are observed
- Assessing the effectiveness of public health interventions on containment